1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note that most notices can be dismissed permanently by clicking the "X" in the top right of the notices. If there is no X, it cannot be dismissed. This notice can be dismissed, try it out!!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guests may use the support tickets navigation tab to request help if they for whatever reason cannot register to the forums.

In your ticket, submit the forum username you have/want, the email you have/want, and the issue in clear detail.

In addition, when registering, ALWAYS ensure you register with your Byond key/name.

4. The forum rules have been updated and will now be enforced instead of the old set.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Server Status:

Server UP!!!
    byond://game.yogstation.net:4133

Server Stuck and need a reboot? Send an email to Yogstation13bot and the council will try and respond ASAP.
    Alternatively, email [email protected] for the same effect. This is a monitored email account.

Your characters and rp styles

Discussion in 'General' started by kayozz11, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Reofec

Reofec Member

Byond:
    Byond Member Profile
    Steam:
    Steam Member Profile
    W.I.F.E. The pAI (With Idiot For Ever)

Written by a lonely old man, Wife cares deeply for it's master and takes to calling them funny little nicknames like "Hunny bunny bear," "Smoochieroo," and so on. This pAI will bold faced lie to protect their master to the point that a rational human would consider delusional. Loves following orders and running around yelling at people who aren't helping or who are actively harming it's master.

Lana Hall
    Signal Tech, or Station Engineer, Lana tends to be rather relaxed going about her business repairing the station and building small projects in maint when no-one is looking. Known for using malicious scripts to piss off the Captain and Head of Security, Mrs. Hall tends to enjoy visits to the brig and having exciting chats with the Warden.

Murphy Dehobo
    Scientist at heart, Murphy enjoys experimenting and working in jolly cooperation with others. He enjoys having people que up at R&D to bitch about how research isn't getting done and that maybe he should just hang himself for being incompetent. Never without a purpose, Murphy also enjoys creating great big slime armies as well as creating Superheros that will tear the station bad guys apart.

Alicia Hegarty
    Sec officer/Warden/Detective that enjoys shitting on traitor's day. Being a plant person, Alicia enjoys shitting on humans for the constant racism the plant and lizard people get. Lenient on non-human offenders but harsh on assistants, would be her by-line if she could be captain. Enjoys long walks through maint alone or with a sec patrol to root out shadowlings, an abomination who'd take all the light away and leave the plant folks dead without sustenance.

In general, I enjoy characters that work with others or that I can get some of my 'autism' projects done like creating a shit secondary Tcomms setup or a makeshift checkpoint to protect and serve the station's occupants.

Recently I've been playing with the ghost roles on Lavaland and my favorite by far is the Syndicate Comm Officer. Admins will occasionally give me the traitor identification phrases so I can work with traitors on the station but honestly I just enjoy pissing off the Heads of Staff with false information and blaming random people.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tamm

Tamm Angry Lizard

Byond:
    Byond Member Profile
    Cha Cha Sevigny.

A dumb Lizard who takes on various jobs without being particularly proficient at any. Doesnt understand humans properly but enjoys getting paid. Very proud of his lizard race and often does things the lizard way which may seem obnoxious or obscene to most humans on board. Can get argumentative but often will fall in line. Surprisingly articulate in english but sometimes this slips to nonsense when he is particularly flustered.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lightning

Lightning Devious Mime

Byond:
    Byond Member Profile
    Since when does centcom pay us?....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tamm

Tamm Angry Lizard

Byond:
    Byond Member Profile
    Wait everything not glued down isnt for us?

• Like Like x 3
  5. Pepe

Pepe Well-Known Member

Byond:
    Byond Member Profile
    I'm just a friendly chainsaw psychopath as roboticist

Crazed fanatic as chaplain

Fascist as security

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Smudgels

Smudgels Doctor Liznerd Donator Veteran Player

Soothes - The - Wounds: Played mainly as a medical doctor, and of course, ready to help anyone in need, in and out of the medical bay. I tend to play him as mainly naive, trusting usually anyone that happens to need something which does get him into a ton and a half of trouble. Used to xenophobia on the station so it doesn't really phase him to too much, but won't stand for it if it becomes a problem with his other lizards.

Seeks - The - Void: Security officer by morning, Chaplain by night.
    I often go ham as chaplain doing the usual ritual shift start to keep the station safe, provide funerals for forsaken souls that have been touched by the light, his speech patterns as a chaplain are archaic and doesn't really have time for people who misunderstand his prayers or try to sway him from his chosen void path. As security officer. . . I'm not too sure, often imposes his foot down on syndicate agents to stem the tide and to keep the station safe from harm doesn't trust silicons too much due to his lizard race creating problems with arrests.

Neerazeel - Arwoosh: Cargo technician, Atoms tech, Engineer
    My newest character kind of a holder for a older character (Sara-Thuul) , so I'm still working on it, But I do try and play her as sassy as possible, but she still does get down to her work little less tolerance for xenophobia which probably will get her in trouble one of these days.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
  7. Slinky5890

Slinky5890 CUK MASTER 23 Administrator Forum Moderator

Byond:
    Byond Member Profile
    I think you forgot to mention soothes is a female lizard :^)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. killerx09

killerx09 Well-Known Member

Byond:
    Byond Member Profile
    Osborn Thomson
    Generally robust and stays to himself. Don't fuck with him and you'll be fine.
    Also hates Clare Houser

Geth Prime
    Think GLADoS, but bound to Asimov rather than morality cores. Hates humans, indifferent to the other races.

BeepBoop
    Your local friendly AI, ready to serve the crew to the best of its ability! Be warned, however, as it enjoys using NTSL to play pranks on the crew members.

9. PropagandaBot

PropagandaBot Anarcho-Syndicalist Communist Moderator Forum Moderator

Byond:
    Byond Member Profile
    I absolutely love this thread. So many good characters. Now, I don't claim to be a good RP'er by any means. Most of my experience has come from WoW and D&D, but here's a little something for whoever's interested:

Anabel Holt's name is either one of relief or infamy, depending on who's telling the story. From station to station she would roam as a kleptomaniacal charlatan stealing whatever she could get her hands on. A delinquent by nature she would hone her skills in thievery and become quite good at it. She would dismantle walls, windows, doors, anything that would stand between her and her item of interest. Not only did she learn how to break things, but she learned how to build them as well. However, as you would expect, she would get caught red handed numerous times and hauled off to the brig with her new toys. The brig became a second home to Anabel and it's in the brig where she would realise that she could instead employ her skills for something less selfish. You can now find Anabel proudly parading around as an engineer. Even after spending several shifts teaching and sometimes leading her department she still falls victim to her old habits... for better or for worse.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dagdammit

Dagdammit Active Member

Byond:
    Byond Member Profile
    Kayla Zalack is a middle-aged, androgynous gal who is here to get shit done. It's her primary virtue and primary vice. Access restrictions, job roles, and the station hierarchy are all part of how things SHOULD be on the station.

But sometimes the HoP isn't opening his shutters, and the other heads seem real distracted, and she may be just a janitor right now but it would CLEARLY help the station to have a backup cloning setup in, say, the cargo lobby and she knows precisely which two standard walls to convert to secret passages in order to get all the parts she needs and no one would need to know...

Take away a fervent helpful streak and a healthy taste for banter, and you'd basically be left with a drone in human form.

(Now, antag Kayla, there all bets are off. Can be anything from 100% subterfuge to a maniacal supervillain explaining her evil plans over the radio.)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Calibraptor

Calibraptor Hippiestation Refugee

Byond:
    Byond Member Profile
    Pete Glueman is a stylish, laid back, and ever impulsive spaceman. He values fashion over functionality and dresses like a hipster at every opportunity, his preferred choice of apparel being classic jeans and sandals, because when you've been through so many shifts and have had so many runs through the cloning pod, you stop giving half a shit about dress code. He drinks, smokes, injects, and pops pills at all available opportunities if it means he can have a moment's distraction from the station's tomfuckery and his pounding headache.

Being a veteran of NT's spacefaring deathtraps, Pete is a robust combatant and often has a trick or two up his sleeve when he can be arsed to care about the inevitable and rapidly approaching shitstorm. Pete values the lives of his fellow crew pretty lowly, one of his saving graces being that he values his own life even less and more often than not finds himself stepping up and saving lives, even if his only reason for doing so is that it'd be a bit boring to drink alone on the escape pod.

My other character, Aqua, is a pacifistic cyborg that seeks to be a paragon among ASIMOV cyborgs everywhere, maintaining his ASIMOV conduct even under less restrictive lawsets. Aqua is most commonly seen using the medical module and it's shtick is often to pop up unexpectedly to snatch a victim away from a traitor, heal you up from critical condition in the deepest depths of maintenance, and even interpose it's own chassis between you and deadly projectiles. Of course, under circumstances that demand violence, Aqua carries out the task with quiet efficiency, treating you with distant courtesy even when he's crushing you in an airlock.

As for my RP style, I'd say it depends on the situation. I rarely, if ever use a custom emote such as "Pete Glueman twirls his pen in his fingers.".

However I commonly use the canned emotes such as *smile, *glare, *nod, *shake, etc since it adds flavor to my characters whilst requiring a minimal amount of effort on my part. Thus allowing me to be emotive, yet robust. I often substitute in *ping for yes and *buzz for no as a cyborg, just because it's fun to beep boop at people.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  12. opticalshadow

opticalshadow New Member

Byond:
    Byond Member Profile
    Steam:
    Steam Member Profile
    I try to play each round with a different personality and traits, regardless of role. I tend to stay pretty strong in character, and for the most part the others have played along. I finally just kept one name instead of changing each round. But other than that its all on the fly stuff, big DnD player/DM so sometimes ill just dig out an old personality from there.

13. the_73mpl4r

the_73mpl4r The Mostly Competent Engie Veteran Player

Byond:
    Byond Member Profile
    Joseph Burkley is generally laidback, but he also tends to be a cynical asshole and panics easily in emergency situations. He mostly keeps to himself doing whatever job he was assigned to, not really saying anything unless he has to

S.P.Y.D.E.R is generally a formal yet sarcastic prick who tends to get quickly annoyed by humans but helps them nonetheless. Likes to use an NTSL script (the MAGNI script to be precise) that allows him to say important things simply by using commands

14. kayozz11

kayozz11 Active Member

Byond:
    Byond Member Profile
    Currently enjoying the role of Paramedic at the moment. It's a fantastic role that I originally hated. You can get stuck into most of the action whilst saving lives and feel like a legend. Very rewarding to save people from the brink of death. Plus most people don't look twice at a paramedic dragging a body - so even better if you're a traitor or ling.

15. Lakefishhaxx

Lakefishhaxx Member

Byond:
    Byond Member Profile
    Steam:
    Steam Member Profile
    I have two characters. However, both of them are "Sally Endsley". This is for a good reason, however. As we are placed in our departments at roundstart, I got the idea in my head that NT has clones and backup clones of every character in the game. Thus, Sally has two distinct clone branches:

Sally Endsley, the Human: Sally primarily works as a Shaft Miner, or in her mind, a Lavaland Hunter. Her primary focus is to wipe out all life on the Lavaland that is not protected by AI or Space laws, placing ash walkers, legion and even escaped prisoners in her "Kill" list, but keeping other miners, hermits or (for some reason) golems and life bringers firmy outside of her "Permitted" kills, unless in emergency or if attacked first, depending on situation. However, she will also ocasionally be seen working in R&D to make devices for the miners, or occasionally gets stuck in Medbay healing any random idiot who tried to get themself killed. She will also work as an Engineer if needed, though she has no clue how to setup the Singularity or Tesla, so if she is a lone engineer, you can be sure you're getting Solar Power, though she will fix any and every broken window or hacked door she can find, even if it is still being broken.

Sally Endsley, the Phytosynth/Pod Person: Sally, in this backup, found all too difficultly that Lava and Plants don't mix well. Thus, she gave up her Hunting for instead growing plants that can heal anything (except brain damage, which she sometimes causes if she has Mannitol), resurrect the crew, or just make a plant-filled Rage Cage of living plants which will fight to the death. She has intense knowledge of cooking and healing as well, often going to the kitchen if she is needed/wanted, and also working in Medical in order to keep practiced in the art of taking things apart and putting them back together, though if the opportunity arises, turning Feline always will seem like a curious passtime.

Of course, as Sally has noticed, there is only ever one instance of her at a time. She believes this is to keep her from working in too many places at once, lest she achieve her goals and attempt to betray her Employers...

16. Cortical_Borer

Cortical_Borer Succ Baby Veteran Player

I don't actually play the game outside of observing and trying to roll for slaughter demon during wiz rounds but I'm still replying to this thread because I need a self confidence boost from all the ratings I'll get for being an edgelord

I never got the fad of rp "styles", it always felt like you're working from a script and it didn't feel very enjoyable. I prefer kind of reactionary rp and I guess that's why I can't run gimmicks as wiz or AI or clown

17. Bekons

Bekons That one scientist Yog-Award Winner 2015 Veteran Player

Faith Ashvile, the chaotic evil of 2d space.
    This demented sociopath was the best in every field, taking no emotions into her line of duty, only showing fake emotions that would advance her goals.
    Her way of thinking even frightened the local changelings, as she always had a plan to kill everyone in the room with the nearest object to her hand. And she would use these plans frequently.

No-one knows why she signed up with nanotrasen, why work on a space station, and least of all, what kind of a crazy man accepted her.

She is mostly violent and will burn down your medbay if you do not give her a medkit. At her heart, trusting no-one but herself, not even those she protected and held closest, she was often seen in maintenance, with a lab coat, tool belt and a fire axe.

Her only emotions were toward causing chaos, either it be lab, department or station wide. Nothing made her light up more, then knowing that people are dying, and it's her doing.

18. OakBoscage

OakBoscage "Retired and heavily outdated" Retired Admin Forum Moderator Veteran Player

You could have just written Faith Ashvile, Powergamer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Par

Par Atmospherics? Veteran Player

Byond:
    Byond Member Profile
    Steam:
    Steam Member Profile
    So... Ernest Drake, my lizard.

Unlike others of his species, Ernest actually grew up on Earth. He was taken from his planet as a baby and raised on Earth as part of a cross-species program to help strengthen ties between the humans and unathi. Therefore, Ernest grew surrounded by other humans and has had little contact with other unathi. He cannot speak their language, doesn't really know much about their culture, and is fully used to the racism his species is subject to. Being called a 'lizard' is the very least of his worries. This is also why he bears a human name- his true name has been forgotten.

For this reason, Ernest mingles just fine with humans. He's generally indifferent to the stupidity they exhibit, and doesn't care much about anything, really. He's kind to others, but really can't be assed to help them if they are suffering. Unless he's bored, in which case he might if he feels like it. He doesn't flinch too much at violence, and he definitely sees red when greysuits dare to step on his dignity.

Fed-up about living on Earth, Ernest became an HVAC engineer and then an atmospheric technician aboard a space station. He finds the nanotrasen ones extremely cold, so he always wears a jacket or coat. His job gives him full access to control of the station's temperature, so he loves to turn up the heat from time to time...

He'll occasionally be drafted by the security force due to his impressive musculature compared to humans, but will often only take care of the brig and its prisoners because he's too lazy to be up and about.

He likes occupying himself with random projects, doing whatever he wants on the station to combat good boredom. He's generally a slacker. Having grown up on a capitalist Earth, he's prone to consumerism, wanting to wear fancy clothes, and being vain like all the other humans, although he doesn't like to admit it.

• Like Like x 1