1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note that most notices can be dismissed permanently by clicking the "X" in the top right of the notices. If there is no X, it cannot be dismissed. This notice can be dismissed, try it out!!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guests may use the support tickets navigation tab to request help if they for whatever reason cannot register to the forums.

In your ticket, submit the forum username you have/want, the email you have/want, and the issue in clear detail.

In addition, when registering, ALWAYS ensure you register with your Byond key/name.

4. The forum rules have been updated and will now be enforced instead of the old set.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Server Status:

Server UP!!!
    byond://game.yogstation.net:4133

Server Stuck and need a reboot? Send an email to Yogstation13bot and the council will try and respond ASAP.
    Alternatively, email [email protected] for the same effect. This is a monitored email account.

Sheriff's guide to technical death metal

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by YeOldeSheriff, May 17, 2017 at 7:28 PM.

1. YeOldeSheriff

YeOldeSheriff Administrator Forum Moderator

Byond:
    Byond Member Profile
    Steam:
    Steam Member Profile
    Hey, Sheriff here with a little metal 101 here. I'm not going to be going too far in depth here, but hopefully you'll hear something you like, and maybe it'll lead you further into the world of metal!

First of all, a brief history on Technical Metal, the genera originates with a band, unsurprisingly, named Death. Death was, by large, a project by the legendary Chuck Schuldiner, and his famous vocals known as "growls." Growls have been around for a while in an infantile state, however, notably with the vocals of Lemmy from Motörhead. Schuldiner took aspects of several more well known acts such as Possessed (Their album Seven Churches seen by some as the first death metal album), and a personal favorite of mine, Napalm Death. They kicked off with Scream Bloody Gore, their first album after a series of well received demos, and thus spawned the genera of aptly named death metal.

Three albums later, Death releases Human, their best selling album, and the first progressive death album released.

Technical Death Metal can be defined as metal with complex musical structures, not dissimilar to progressive metal or Avant Garde Metal (The later also being covered within this thread.) As more properly defined at last.fm,
    "Technical death metal and progressive death metal are related terms that refer to bands particularly distinguished by the complexity of their music. Common traits are abruptly changing, sometimes chaotic song structures, uncommon time signatures, atypical rhythms and unusual harmonies and melodies. Bands described as technical death metal or progressive death metal usually fuse common death metal aesthetics with elements of progressive rock, jazz and/or classical music. While the term technical death metal is sometimes used to describe bands that not only focus on complexity but also on speed and extremity, the line between progressive and technical death metal is thin." (https://www.last.fm/tag/progressive+death+metal/wiki)

To get a feel for the genera a listen through of the classics is recommended-
    Listen to the full albums for each of these, if you enjoy any of it, I highly recommend each of these following bands entire discography's.

Cryptopsy has probably the first technical death album, and maybe my top album of all time.

Gorguts, probably the most well known Tech Death band, and utterly fantastic all around.

Spawn of Possession utilizes more classical influences as opposed to the jazz of Cryptopsy and Gorguts

Necrophlagist, classical like Spawn of Possession and just as brutal, shame they don't release more stuff - ensure you check out their album Epitaph, as it's quite honestly the superior album, but lacking a quality stream on YouTube.

Those four bands, Cryptopsy, Gorguts, Spawn of Possession, and Necrophlagist are the true "must listen" to bands in tech death, not too mention each of them is incredibly brutal. Seriously, even non-metal fans (if any of you have bothered to read this far) check out a few of their songs.

Now for some more stuff, just as brutal, but not nearly as classic or otherwise not deserving of being a "must listen"

Cattle Decapitation, their brutal, yet something about their album artwork is really off putting, its the same feeling I get with Cannibal Corpse, something just doesn't quite feel right almost.

While not tech death, still throwing them in because I love them, Gorjiria, the Frenchies with a Japanese name and highly philosophical lyrics, if your a fan of German Metaphysics or Hinduism you'll probably resonate well with these guy's lyrics.

Ephel Duath, brilliant Italian avant garde, listen through the whole album The Painters Palette, just be aware that they are at times, almost to an off putting degree, into free jazz.

Some more avant garde, Deathspell Omega, the tragically no longer on Spotify, still, take a listen to as much of their discography as you can given the chance.

Some find Obscura's occasionally distorted vocals to be off putting, yet, I have no real issue with them. Form an opinion for yourself, however. Otherwise, they have brilliant riffs and excellent sound structure, listen to their full album Akroasis.

These guys are brilliant, Hour of Penance, more Italian technical goodness, listen the full album Cast the First Stone. The visuals with this video are also very entertaining, get your Deus Vult on, its a 21st century crusade!

The very communist inspired Dark Lunacy is sure to bring some more Italian fueled joy to your day. Listen to their whole discography, and particularly Devoid and The Diarist. The history of the Aurora should be mentioned as well, read up on this while listening https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cruiser_Aurora

Will be adding a few more bands to this list in the future, as well as creating several more lists. I will definitely be creating a "core" list: Deathcore, metalcore, grindcore, etc. A classic death metal list, and a dedicated progressive list for all of the bands I wanted to put on here but couldn't justify. Also probably a black metal list, particularly focusing on atmospheric metal, or maybe even a dedicated French or Italian list.

Maybe I'll also write up a list of good horror movies by genera.

If anyone actually read, thanks for doing so! If your genuinely interested in this stuff let me know and maybe we can exchange our favorite bands!

• Like Like x 2
    • More information required: Admin rating More information required: Admin rating x 1
  2. kayozz11

kayozz11 Active Member

Byond:
    Byond Member Profile
    Put me down into the more atmospheric, gloomy, avant garde type of black metal. I prefer the gloomy/atmospheric stuff over the 'heavy metal' type of genre.

Good thread btw. You're obviously passionate about it.

I'm more in the field of say... Burzum / Leviathan / Lurker of Chalice / Altar of plagues (to pick a few from my head)...

P.s the Cattle mutilation link is fucking awesome.

Edit: The Dark Lunacy link reminds me a little of At the Gates...

3. OakBoscage

OakBoscage "Retired and heavily outdated" Retired Admin Forum Moderator Veteran Player

Off topic content that isn't shitposting? Christ we haven't had that since '14.

Do country music next.

4. BritishGrace

BritishGrace Member

Byond:
    Byond Member Profile
    Should do metal genre's, not just Death but stuff like Power, Industrial etc

5. Dzlan

Dzlan The Wolf of Yogstreet Veteran Player

Byond:
    Byond Member Profile
    Steam:
    Steam Member Profile
    SYNTH IS BETTER
    SUCCUMB TO THE SYNTH SIDE

6. Tamm

Tamm Angry Lizard

Byond:
    Byond Member Profile